Thursday, September 19, 2013

Emily's 27th Birthday - September 16th 2013

Yes, it's true. I turned 27 on Monday. 27...isn't that the age that women who are older than that say they are. It must be a very desirable age. An age that says that you are a mature adult, but that you are still young, I suppose. Well. I'm glad I'm 27 for more reasons than that. Check out this little guy on my lap. Irresistible, this one. Such a cutie, and the joy of our lives. I'm thankful to be 27 because I am his mother, and he's my son, and I get to spend every day with him, and he's wonderful.

On John's birthday I contemplated all the effort and struggle that it took to make his actual 'birthday' possible. And looking back on this past year, I see that I've learned so much, mostly that I have so much more to learn. So far, motherhood has been a shrewd teacher for me. I am thankful for my mother who gave life to me 27 years ago, and for both of my parents for keeping me safe all these years, for providing for me and teaching me, and most importantly, for loving me.
This is how John cuddles, and I love it. Although he's a very fitful cuddler, he cuddles for a minute, and then suddenly pushes away deciding he wants to look all around and see if there's anything going on, and then he'll come back. I have to be alert so that I don't get too much of the brunt of those pushes. But I'm always glad to take them back.

Yes it was a great birthday. I cuddled with John a lot, did an hour of yoga, took the night off from cooking, and had a lovely evening with Seth and John, and we enjoyed amazing chocolate pudding to celebrate. I've had some very nice phone calls with some family members, and we skyped with my family. We have a Wagner tradition that we all go around and say what we like about the birthday girl or boy, and they all made me feel very special, loved and admired. I am truly thrilled about the avocado pitter and slicer and salad spinner which are new additions to my kitchen and will be used every day, and I am planning a good trip to Target and the thrift store to find some 'new' clothes. I could use a new wardrobe now that my maternity clothes are long out of the question. Thank you to all for your cards, gifts and kind words. I am thankful to have such a supportive family and friends.
We are a happy family, yes sirree. I am thankful to be 27 because I have been this wonderful man's wife for 6 and a half amazing years. I couldn't ask for a better husband. He is so good to me. And he is an excellent father. John has a fantastic example to look up to. Seth took us on a lovely vacation, just us 3, to Massachusetts for a relaxing week alone together (posts coming soon). That was a superb birthday gift, and he followed up with an hour and a half massage on my birthday. Oh, massages are the best! It really was a nice birthday. Here's to a year of counting my many blessings and finding the joys in life.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your birthday was great. :) Is that a Wagner tradition that we did on Skype?

    ReplyDelete