Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Service Project - Weeding Grandma Jeena's Garden 7-6-13

 I've fallen behind in my posts, as always. So much life happens, I just can't document all of it. But here are some fun pics of the Wagner Reunion service project. We helped Grandma Jeena weed her garden. Despite the heat, everyone had lots of fun.
 I helped Aunt Sarah watch the little ones, and went around to take pictures.
 There was a lot of "bafoonery" occuring, as Seth would call it. No, that's not a word, Seth made it up. He's pretty proud of it too.
 The kids and Jacob's girlfriend Natalie commenced the water fighting, and Uncle Jacob continued it.
 I just have to say that Seth is one fast weeder. Another service project later in the week was weeding Great Grandma Johnson's garden. I heard Seth was out there weeding at the speed of light. I couldn't go because I got whiplash at 7 Peaks Water Park, on the first slide I went on... it was sad...oh so sad. Don't go on the half pipe if you go there! You may be sadly disappointed, and injured. I was grateful Seth could give me a Priesthood Blessing, and it said that I would recover, and this injury would have no lasting effects. That was reassuring. I'm still a little sore, but things are getting better, and yoga is helping.


Some of the guys also helped Jeff set up the Brimhalls new swing set.
 Nothing says family togetherness like working in the garden. I love this quote from Pres. Spencer W. Kimball, We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments or condominiums can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden as neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities.10
I hope that we understand that, while having a garden … is often useful in reducing food costs and making available delicious fresh fruits and vegetables, it does much more than this. Who can gauge the value of that special chat between daughter and Dad as they weed or water the garden? How do we evaluate the good that comes from the obvious lessons of planting, cultivating, and the eternal law of the harvest? And how do we measure the family togetherness and cooperating that must accompany successful canning? Yes, we are laying up resources in store, but perhaps the greater good is contained in the lessons of life we learn as we live providently. 11 https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-spencer-w-kimball/chapter-11

No comments:

Post a Comment