Sunday, June 2, 2013

Memorial Day 2013 in Palatine

We drove out to Chicago to visit my family for Memorial Day weekend. We took two cars because we were selling one to my parents. That is the longest stretch I have driven since we were married 6 years ago! It was not easy, and it was hard on my muscles, not being able to move my legs around. It took us 9 hours to do a 6.5 hour drive with construction, traffic and baby stops. But we made it! And it was sooo much better than taking a plane alone with John. John was as good as a baby could be, and I was so thankful.
Uncle Trey and Seth

We went to the Palatine Memorial Day Parade to see my sister, Ashley play her clarinet in the marching band. It was Johns first parade! I was a little cold, but we bundled up, and thankfully it didn't rain!
I was really glad to be at the parade and clap for the veterans. It helped me to remember what the holiday is really about, and to be grateful for all who have lived and died so that I can have the wonderful life that I have. On Sunday, my Dad gave a lesson about that, and I really wanted to follow what he said, and make it not "just a day off," but a day to be thankful and to remember.
Grandma Terri and Baby John
John was mesmerized by everything going on, the motorcycles and flags, the firetruck and the band. He was very quiet observing everything, but he wasn't scared at all.
Ashley is in the center of this photo, marching and playing in the band.
John was really happy that someone gave him a flag. He is proud to be an American! And he thinks that freedom tastes pretty nice :)

The first real fire truck that John's ever seen.
Grandma Terri and Grandpa John
John loved the band music!
Ashley did a great job playing! The band sounded wonderful!
Aunt Ashley and Baby John
John was also very excited to see Aunt Ashley, and he loved her hat!

Seriously, these 2 Johns have a special bond. I have never seen my dad so happy before, and John sure loves his Grandpa John.

I just had to include this picture above. It's kind of creepy. I don't know if Uncle Trey was trying to smile, or just be creepy, but Baby John sure thinks he's funny!
Uncle Trey and Baby John

And he likes biting Uncle Trey's nose. He was gentle though.

Grandma Terri, at my request, played my favorite song she plays, "Clair de Lune," by Debussy. It was beautiful as always. Baby John loved it.
I have to say that John sure loves his Grandma too! They are buddies, and he likes to cuddle with her, and laugh too.

Grandpa John and Baby John
When we had to leave, my Dad said they would just have to keep Baby John. They looked about to cry when we drove away. They sure love this little baby, and so do we! He just makes people happy, and feel loved.

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of Mom and Dad. It is wonderful that John is getting to spend some time with his abuelos y tios. :)

    ReplyDelete