Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Power of My Introvert

 Yes, this is my introvert. My powerful introvert named Seth. 
I was talking to my counselor Linda the other day about how I can understand Seth better and the way he thinks, and the way he communicates....or doesn't want to communicate.... :) And she led me to this excellent TED Talk called The Power of Introverts (Seth and I are so in to TED talks right now!) Seth and I both listened to it, and we're going to listen to the whole book together on our upcoming vacation. This has really opened my eyes to how powerful of a leader that Seth is. He's not like me. He wouldn't be called an extrovert or outgoing necessarily. He is quiet, contemplative, relaxed, accepting, kind. (Hopefully I am some of those things at least some of the time.) But these are characteristics that really bring out the true Seth. And I've been conditioned to think in our world that you have to be outgoing, or thought of as a "go-getter," the one making the brilliant comments in class, the one everyone notices, to be....to be successful.
But I've changed my mind, and now I can really see that Seth is a natural and powerful leader, not in the same way that I am, but in a way that complements me. Seth's love and kindness and acceptance and listening skills make him a wonderful leader because he lets those he is managing shine. He lets people be creative and he does not "quash" their creativity because he is so bent on his own plan or his own ideas. When, perhaps I wondered when Seth would take the lead, and preside in his rightful place, I have not realized often enough that he was already leading. He was giving me wings, and that is a powerful way to lead. His gentle influence helps me to be my best self. Sometimes when I am tempted to make a wrong choice, I wonder what Seth would do, I wonder what he would think if I made that choice, and then it helps me to turn back. That is powerful. No, he didn't sit me down and give me a lecture, he just lives in a way that I want to follow him. I want to be like him. I don't want to let him down. That is true power.
Oh how I love my introvert!

No comments:

Post a Comment