Thursday, August 28, 2014

Create Something of Beauty and Helpfulness

Tonight I am admiring the things of beauty and helpfulness that God has blessed me to be able to create.
(This is our picnic table centerpiece now on our back patio)

"Nearly a century and a half ago, President Brigham Young spoke to the Saints of his day. “There is a great work for the Saints to do,” he said. “Progress, and improve upon and make beautiful everything around you. Cultivate the earth, and cultivate your minds. Build cities, adorn your habitations, make gardens, orchards, and vineyards, and render the earth so pleasant that when you look upon your labors you may do so with pleasure, and that angels may delight to come and visit your beautiful locations. In the mean time continually seek to adorn your minds with all the graces of the Spirit of Christ.” 6
The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."
That was from one of my favorite talks, by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Happiness, Your Heritage."



It makes me smile to know that after hours of hard work, our office is functional now. I know where the highlighters and paper and staples are. And everything is baby-proofed!!! That wasn't easy! The scissors and hole punch, pens and sharpees, etc. are safe and tucked away in a drawer where John cannot get to them, and where they cannot even tease him, because he can't see them. Hooray!
I love organizing! I love even more it when things are organized and very useful and neat looking.

My sad rubber tree plant is being scorched I think... But I don't dare put it on the back patio, or John will tear off all the leaves. He thinks it's great fun. And my hosta got half eaten by dear in Cleveland. Don't worry hosta! You will be beautiful again next year. I know your potential!
Flowers do something wonderful for my well-being.
I felt a great need to try to save the struggling rose bush in front of our house, and add some cheerful flowers to the neglected garden beds to welcome our visitors and help this feel more like our home than just our house. Now I come home and enjoy the beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment