Friday, August 22, 2014

The Handy Wagners


After 2 1/2 weeks of planning and a $100 trip to Home Depot and working and planning and another trip to Home Depot and a lot more working, we have finally finished building our patio door!

We wanted to have a safer place for John to play because our patio entrance used to look something like this: 

I designed it after watching a lot of YouTube videos about building fence gates.

We have been working on it after John goes to bed until sometimes 11 o'clock at night! It is hard to build things in the dark! But tonight, we had John awake still, but we had an opportunity between rainstorms to finish the door, so we did. John had just been soaked through with rain, so we just took his clothes off. :-) he was very excited about the door, and he really wanted to help. We really need to get him a little kid toolset! 
At the end, when we were putting on the hinges, it became very difficult to do anything without John getting into all of the dangerous tools. God answered my prayers, and my neighbor Katie showed up and asked if she could help by taking John over to her house. I am thankful for people that listen to promptings and answer my prayers!

After one last crisis when part of door frame came apart, we finished it! I have used a power drill more in the last two weeks man in my entire life. I feel so handy! We have made so many mistakes, but we have really increased our handy skills! 
Although it is sure not perfect, and I would do a lot of things differently next time, we are pretty happy and proud of our door!

No comments:

Post a Comment