Thursday, April 23, 2015

Recognizing Blessings

Here I am with John today, I thought that we were taking a video, but really I just took our picture. But thankfully, he was willing to do the video a second time.

I am not sure why, but John was having a seriously hard time this morning. I jokingly said Seth could take John to school with him :-) after alphabet school, I pretty much had to drag John home, because he didn't want to leave. Then, after a colossal tantrum that seem to last a very long time, I held him in my arms on the couch and talked to him about what was going on. Finally, he gave in and cuddled with me for a few minutes. After a few minutes though, he was fast asleep in my arms. So exhausted. --- It was truly a beautiful moment that I cherish, holding hm in my arms, safe and warm and loved. I know that it can't  always be that way, he will grow up. I am so thankful to have this blessing now. Even though there are tantrums and challenges, it is so worth it being a mother. Just for those glimpses of true joy and peace. 

---

John is doing great using the potty! I think he has had one accident this week, and that's it! He has been in underwear the whole time, even at night, and he is telling us whenever he needs to go! This is a very exciting time :-) I am proud of him.

---

I am truly loving reading The Book of Mormon again! I have read it quite a few times. And every time I learn new things, or remember important things that I've forgotten. Today I was reading about two brothers, Nephi and Laman. They were both in the wilderness on a journey, for eight years. They were on the same journey, yet they saw it so differently. They both admitted that they had had many trials. Laman saw them through the perspective of pessimism; he complained about it, and said that it would have been better if they had never gone on the journey anyway. That it might have even been better to have died that to go through those trials. He wished for the things of the past, saying that he might have been happy had things been different. I am tempted in times of life that are difficult, to see things this way.

Nephi acknowledges that they have suffered great trials, but he focuses on the fact that they were strengthened by the Lord. He can see how they have grown and developed on their journey through their afflictions when they have relied upon the Lord. He says "so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us"

And he comes to this conclusion:
"And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness."

See The Book of Mormon, first Nephi chapter 17 verse three

I want to see with eyes like Nephi, and to recognize the blessings of the Lord always. We are all on our own journeys through the wilderness of life. And we can choose how view them. I choose to see my blessings. And I am greatly blessed! I'm so thankful for my life, for the lessons God is teaching me, for my loving family and the joy that I have because of them, even when times are hard. God has been so good to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment