Friday, October 4, 2013

General Conference! and Part 4 - Palmyra Visit on Our Way Home

On our way home from MA, we decided to stop at Palmyra, NY, a town you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't know what happened there.
I had gotten to attend the Boston Temple  during our trip, and Seth needed a turn. So we planned on having me watch John, while Seth went. But when we looked at the temple info on our phones when we stopped at the rest stop, we realized that the last session of the day was in 20 min! We thought it would be 2 hours later....We were 20 min. away. What could we do!?
We said a little prayer and drove as fast as we legally could to get there. We called and they said they were all full anyways. But we got there 2 min. before the session was supposed to start. Thankfully, the nice temple worker said they were waiting on 2 other people, and that they could squeeze in one more chair for Seth. It was a real miracle!
While Seth was in the temple, John and I strolled around the beautiful Smith family farm. I could feel the sacrifice that family made so that I could have an know what I do now, and I felt thankful they were willing to live and give their lives for it.

Then we went for a walk through the Sacred Grove, and took a rest so that I could write my testimony in my journal. It was so beautiful and peaceful, and the sun shone through the trees. I could only imagine what it would have been like to be there almost 100 years ago on a very special spring morning.
Watch this video of President Gordon B. Hinckley to find out more about what happened in this grove now called Sacred.
I also know that Joseph Smith was and is a chosen prophet of God, that he saw God the Father and the Son in this very place. I know that he facilitated the restoration of Christ's original church on the earth. Because of the prophet Joseph Smith, I know that God still cares about all of us. He is not silent. He hasn't left us alone in the dark. He speaks through living apostles and a prophet lead it today. They will be speaking to us this weekend in General Conference. Click HERE to find out how you can watch it online for yourself.



If you'd like to read more and watch some short videos to learn about Joseph Smith. Follow this LINK 

John enjoyed the Sacred Grove, especially the fallen leaves.

Yes, he even had to taste them...
To finish our wonderful vacation, we went to the top of the Hill Cumorah, where the plates to The Book of Mormon had been deposited before Joseph Smith translated them.
It was one of our best vacations ever. Being with Seth and John, just us, our little family, was bliss.
Don't forget to check out General Conference! We've already had the Women's General Relief Society Broadcast, and I'm hungry for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment