Friday, May 30, 2014

These Women Inspire and Strengthen Me

My visiting teaching companion, Katie Taylor, arranged for us to have a picnic with Myrtle today. Our friend, Linda Huxel, came too. We've missed Linda since she moved to a different ward (congregation). We had a lot of fun, and it was a gorgeous day! The boys really enjoyed playing with each other and chasing the squirrels.
Myrtle has been through so much since I have known her. She has been in and out of the hospital, rehab centers. But she has truly trusted in God, and she's worked hard to get where she is now.  She's just zipping around with her walker. She's going up and down stairs, and she' taking care of herself. She's changed a lot of her diet for the better which hasn't been easy. Myrtle has been to church twice recently, and she touched my heart as she shared her testimony that God has been good to her and that she is living proof that God is real. Her doctors have told her that she would never walk again and that she'd never be off oxygen, but she's walking and she doesn't need oxygen now. She thanked God for her blessings and I am inspired by her.

I have visited Myrtle for three years now, and it has been a wonderful experience! I will truly miss her, but now we are lifelong friends. John calls her grandma Myrtle, and we will always remember her.
Visiting teaching is a program of watch care in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In our relief society, which is the organization for women in my church, each woman is assigned a visiting teaching companion, and those two companions are usually assigned to two or three women in their congregation. "Visiting teachers sincerely come to know and love each sister (or woman in the church), help her strengthen her faith, and give service. … Taking into account each sister’s individual needs and circumstances, visiting teachers have regular contact (monthly if possible) with those they are assigned. When a personal visit is not possible, visiting teachers may use phone calls, letters, e-mail, or other means to watch over and strengthen sisters." (Purpose of Visiting Teaching)
Sometimes the women you are assigned are in your age and stage of life, and sometimes not. We help each other, and we support each other especially in times of need. This is a way to make sure that everyone in the church is okay and has the support that they need. Often my visiting teaching companions become some of my best friends - life-long friends, Katie certainly has, as well as my last companion, Kjirsti.
(It wasn't exactly a dream spot for photographers...but I guessed you could say we're stylish in our cheetah print.)
Although it is an assignment, visiting teaching is a great opportunity to get to know some truly wonderful women who have a lot of wisdom and a lot to teach me. It is also a great opportunity to bridge the gap between generations and received wisdom floor from those who are different from me. My visiting teachers have been a great strength to me: they have listened to my concerns, called my just to say hi and see how I'm doing, visited me when I was lonely, helped me with a huge garage sale, brought me dinner, weeded my garden, lent me a shoulder to cry on, helped me pack and move, helped me clean my house, strengthened my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, taught me how to be a better mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend. 

 I have also have had countless opportunities to serve in these same ways, and whenever I serve, I feel I am blessed as much as or more than the sisters I am serving. There would be a lot more love in the world if all women could have visiting teachers, and be visiting teachers! (and you can, just let me know if you're interested in finding out more.) 

A good friend of mine, Teri, recently asked me jokingly if Mormon's had more than 24 hours in a day. The answer is no. We don't have any more time than anyone else, and sometimes I feel so busy that I am overwhelmed. I know there are times in my life that I can do more to serve others than times when I am the one in need. But that is the beauty of it. We all need help at some point. We all need to feel loved, we need to feel needed. We need to have our faith strengthened. Even the strongest disciple needs to be strengthened, for faith has a short shelf life

When I remember that Christ strengthened those who needed strengthening, He lifted up those who could not walk, He healed the sick, He befriended the friendless, He loved all people, all of us. He reached out to others and had compassion on them even when He Himself was in agony. 
Christ ministered to people one by one. He got to know them. He truly loved them. He loves all of us.
When I remember Him, I want to love as He loved. That brings true joy. And even when I myself am so burdened down, even in the times when I could not stand or walk, I could remember my sisters. I could love them and pray for them; and I have, and that has made a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment