Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Myrtle and the Foutz's

On Sunday, April 7th, we headed over to our friend Myrtle Alexander's apartment for a pineapple breakfast  Farewell to the Foutz's. Kjirsti Foutz and I have been Myrtle's visiting teachers together for 2 years now, ever since Scotland was born. And he's 2 now! It's hard to believe 2 years have past, Baby John has been born and is already 8 months old! It's been fun to visit with Scotter and John in tow. I have loved developing a strong friendship and love for Kjirsti and Myrtle. They both have taught me so much.

 Tom has finished his schooling here and they are off to residency in Seattle, WA! Just about as far away as you could move and still be in the US. We'll sure miss them! They are just genuine, friendly, kind and good people. But, thankfully, my sister Hannah lives there too, so maybe we'll get to visit the Foutz's sometime when we're out there.
Myrtle is 78. She's old enough to be Kjirsti's and my grandma, but we call her our sons adopted grandma, Grandma Myrtle. She sure loves her grandsons! (John looks like a tank in that picture! His head is almost as big as Scotland's, and those are 18 month clothes! :) Can you tell how hot he is? Myrtle keeps her thermostat at 78 degrees, just like my Grandpa Hubbard. We go visit in layers, and all of the unessential ones are removed shortly after arriving.

Kirk Shaw, one of Myrtle's home teachers, who takes such good care of her, was able to make it and bring his son Gideon. His wife, Joy stayed home because they have 4 little girls too and couldn't find a babysitter. Myrtle wanted to send some breakfast home to Joy, and she asked Kirk if she would like some "Swimp and Grits." She really means shrimp, but it is so cute how she says it! We missed Lisa and Matt Call, more adopted family of Myrtles, and Sam and Katie and baby Ezra Taylor, who were out of town. Katie is my new visiting teaching companion. They were at Myrtle's BBQ (Hope you don't mind me linking to your post, Kjirsti!) which was so much fun and reminded me of how many people love Myrtle and that the Lord has not forgotten her. He never will.
Myrtle loves to cook for people. She is from Jacksonville, FL, and she is as southern as a southern cook can get! She won't sit down and eat herself until everyone else is served and eating despite our many protests. She watches everyone's plate like a hawk to make sure you've got plenty. She is always trying to get Seth to eat more. 
Myrtle's neighbor, Esther came over for breakfast too. She is a very kind neighbor and really watches out for Myrtle. Esther brought some coffee cake. After an extremely southern breakfast, Myrtle and Esther offered everyone cake and icecream! Myrtle said it was "near lunchtime." I had to smile. That's just how Myrtle was raised and the only way she knows, and she just wants to share what she has and make people happy. I haven't told Myrtle about my new eating choices, and I don't think I need to. It would probably upset her unnecessarily, so I think I'll try to keep it to myself as long as possible. Somehow I got through the breakfast without her noticing that I ate before I came.
 Myrtle, Kjirsti and I have sure had some good times together. I have learned from Kjirst how to help people feel appreciated and wanted, and how to connect with people from completely different generations and learn from their wisdom. I've learned from Myrtle that you can be happy even if you live alone, and know that you aren't really alone because the Lord is always there, and you can love the people around you and make them your extended family. Myrtle is in the hospital now and will be there for a few more days. Our prayers are with her, and we hope she will get well soon.
 These boys love Myrtle's house. It is full of immaculately clean trinkets. They just stare longingly at it, and Scotter knows which ones are safe to play with.
Baby John was trying to hold Grandma Myrtle's hand. He must know how much she loves him and how much we love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment