Monday, April 22, 2013

I'm Thankful for The Book of Mormon

Today I am thankful for The Book of Mormon. It has answers to life's questions, and brings peace to the troubled soul. Last night, right after I posted about gratitude, the Lord gave me quite an opportunity to practice what I'm preaching. He gave me a situation in which I could choose to be angry and offended, or humble and prayerful. It was difficult to find gratitude in that situation, but I chose to pray and acknowledge my many weaknesses and my need for the Lord's help. I received a feeling that I should go to The Book of Mormon, and the Lord would show me how I should act, and He did. I am thankful that The Book of Mormon can help us in all circumstances.

President Marion G. Romney said:
“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1980, 90; or Ensign, May 1980, 67).
I am thankful that we can read it as a family and have it be an important part of our lives. We are starting to have a more regular nightly routine.
Seth comes home, and spends some time with John while I finish up getting dinner on the table.
We eat dinner together and talk.
Seth puts dinner away and rinses the dishes while I go to the piano.
I play through the hymn or primary song we are going to sing; John usually listens from his excersaucer.
Then Seth comes in and holds Baby John while I play (usually just the right hand) and we sing a song to him.
We all go to the couch and Seth reads 1 verse from The Book of Mormon in English,
Then I read the same verse in Spanish.
Then we pray together as a family, say good night, and I go upstairs, feed John and put him to bed.

Every time we do this, I think, "This is the good life, the happy life." I am so thankful for my little family. And although it is slow-going, and may take years to finish reading The Book of Mormon together, that doesn't matter. It's the journey that counts. And I know those promises President Romney spoke of are true. I have felt them in my life, in my home, in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment