Friday, April 25, 2014

Splashing in Puddles!

Our backyard has a tendency to turn into a small pond every spring. Today is a beautiful rainy day, and John went out with Stella to splash in some puddles (in his awesome boots that were perfectly his size at Goodwill in Chicago, and they're black! I was going to buy the pink ones that I thought were the only option (John wouldn't care!) but then those beautiful black size 5 boots showed up. What a blessing!). Our yard has certainly dried up a ton since a month ago. Watching John have a blast today reminded me of the first time this spring that was warm and the snow was melting.
 This was a day that marked great progress in my motherhood journey. I let John splash in the puddles, soak through his only pair of shoes. Sit in the water and the mud, explore to his hearts content. And I had fun watching him! That is a big step for me. I haven't always done really well with dirt, and it is much more difficult to get John back inside when I have to take off all his clothes and shoes (while he's wrestling me and throwing a tantrum about having to go back inside). But it was very worth it that day.
 We had lots of fun with our friends, Beth and Stella Winder, and Katie and Ezra Taylor. It was a day to remember.
Now, whenever possible, I encourage John to have fun and get dirty. Clothes and shoes don't really matter, but having lots of fun does.

No comments:

Post a Comment