Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Back to the Books - Regresa a los libros

So, as you may know I've been trying to speak as much Spanish as I can with John. I don't always speak Spanish when Seth is home or when we're with other people. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. But I do what I can at home. I have a dictionary app on my phone that I consult frequently. There are so many words I don't know!

I always wanted to serve as a missionary for my church , but it turned out that the Lord had a different mission for me, and I decided to get married. I never regret my decision. After I married, I still wanted to learn a language and be able to help people of different backgrounds, so I studied Spanish at Brigham Young University Idaho, where we went to college. I studied my little heart out, and practiced as much as I could. I got to return missionary level and took advanced grammar and composition. But 5 years and lack of use really make the Spanish cogs get rusty in my brain, and I've forgotten a lot. Right now, I'm only speaking in present tenses with John, but soon he will understand and speak much more, and I want to be ready. So it's back to the books! 
I remember that I liked this book when I took my second Spanish class, so I figure I'll start here. If you have any suggestions on brushing up on Spanish tenses, especially commands a requests, or want to share any experiences about trying to raise your children bilingually, I'm all ears! :)

---

I'm picking up Seth tonight. He's coming back from his interview and preview at University of Iowa. Coming back to stay for a long time!! Hooray! W'e've sure missed him. John's teething (a big molar that is not friendly), and he's still struggling with day light savings, and weening is not fun, necessary, but not fun. John gets lonely (and so do I) just hanging out with Mama all day and night with no change in company. Yay for Dada coming home!

No comments:

Post a Comment